Fighting Fire with FireCAD
The Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY) is the largest fire department in the United States and one of the busiest emergency responders in the world. FDNY’s computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system must support the complex public-safety software system responsible for mission-critical logistics for NYC fire trucks and battalions.
When the time came to modernize the CAD and an initial product from an external vendor was deemed insufficient, FDNY decided to develop a customized product in-house. They leveraged their own programming and operations experts, and they brought in a system integrator (SI) to develop the software solution. How would FDNY be assured that this multimillion-dollar, multiyear project would result in the right CAD system for their specific needs?
NYSTEC independently verified and validated the SI’s software development services to:
- Detect and correct any cost or schedule variances.
- Identify potential process or product risk.
- Confirm the project lifecycle processes complied with regulatory, performance, schedule, and budget requirements.
- Confirm the SI’s product and processes complied with FDNY’s defined requirements.
$22 Million FireCAD Launched
$22 Million System Successfully Replaced 45-Year Old CAD in August 2021
Among other benefits, the new system:
- Is more reliable than the previous CAD.
- Makes it easier to dispatch resources quicker.
- Requires less dispatcher training.
- Gets necessary data to dispatches faster.
- Requires only 52 minutes of downtime annually–a dramatic change from the previous system’s 9 hours.
- Is designed to be compatible with next-generation 911.
How to Hire Us
Are you interested in engaging NYSTEC for a project? Learn more about the different types of contract vehicles you can use.