Department: Technology Acquisitions
Location: Albany, NY
NYSTEC is a nonprofit technology consulting company, advising agencies, organizations, institutions, and businesses since 1996. We’re independent and vendor-neutral, so we have our clients’ best interests at heart. At NYSTEC, we know that we succeed when individuals and teams flourish personally and professionally, so our benefits and perks support that mindset. Are you ready to contribute to our engaged workforce and to deliver the NYSTEC Experience?
About the Role:
As a project manager in the Technology Acquisitions Practice, you will collaborate with team members, clients, vendors, and third parties to plan and oversee technology projects, ensuring they are completed in a timely manner and within budget. NYSTEC is considered a trusted advisor, partner of choice, and employer of choice. We believe that every interaction is an opportunity to deliver exceptional service that empowers client success!
In this role, you will determine and define project and task scope; identify stakeholders; plan and designate project resources; monitor progress; track risks, actions, issues, and decisions (RAID); and keep stakeholders informed throughout the software development life cycle (SDLC). As a NYSTEC consultant you will be a project lead, and in some settings serving as an agile product owner or scrum master. As such, you will need to be proactive in identifying opportunities and challenges, taking immediate action, and communicating constantly and clearly with our clients, their stakeholders, and vendors.
Serving as a project manager, your day-to-day role will include assisting clients with improving business operations by acquiring and implementing new information technology for their enterprise. This may include several different activities within the enterprise—from helping to determine strategy through assisting with procurements, follow-on activities, and ensuring the successful deployment of new systems.
- Determine and define project and task scope and objectives.
- Predict resources needed to reach objectives and, where appropriate, manage resources—either directly or indirectly—in an effective and efficient manner.
- Develop and manage a detailed project schedule and work plan.
- Maintain risks, assumptions, issues, and dependencies (RAID) logs; ensure that due dates are achievable; track owners and stakeholders; and communicate status constantly and clearly.
- Provide project updates on a consistent basis to various stakeholders about strategy, adjustments, and progress.
- Assist with the management of vendors by assigning tasks, communicating, and in some cases reviewing expected deliverables.
- Use industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout the entire project execution.
- Measure project performance to identify areas for improvement.
- In certain settings, manage software engineering teams and ensure that products are delivered on time and on budget.
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively.
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful.
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to manage and develop key relationships with colleagues and clients through collaborative thinking and a strong customer focus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong familiarity with agile methods.
- Project management professional (PMP) certification.
- Experience working with New York State agencies and/or New York State civil service.
- A bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in a business/technology setting. An equivalent combination of advanced education, training, and experience will be considered. We have multiple positions available at varying levels; these are the minimum qualifications for consideration.
If you’re an effective communicator who enjoys working in complex and collaborative environments, using your critical thinking and research skills to develop solutions for clients, providing support to customers, and you have the required education, experience, and skills, we want to hear from you.
Employees are required to comply with NYSTEC’s Vaccination Policy and Prevention Plan. Our policy requires proof of vaccination status or agreeing to submit weekly COVID-19 tests via our ADP portal. New York City office employees and travelers are required to submit proof of vaccination or apply for a workplace accommodation request in accordance with NYC Emergency Executive Order No. 98.
It is NYSTEC’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all individuals, regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, sex, or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, military service and veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws and ordinances. NYSTEC is strongly committed to this policy and believes in the concept and spirit of the law.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Learn more about NYSTEC by visiting www.nystec.com.