NYSTEC has a job opening for a network support engineer. Are you ready to contribute to our engaged workforce and to deliver the NYSTEC Experience?
Department: Information Technology
Location: Rome, NY
Salary: $77469 – $106520
NYSTEC is a nonprofit technology consulting company, advising agencies, organizations, institutions, and businesses since 1996. Our mission is to deliver extraordinary value through independent advisory services by understanding our clients’ needs and responding effectively to enable their success. We are independent and vendor neutral, so we have our clients’ best interests at heart.
At NYSTEC, we succeed when our individuals and teams flourish personally and professionally.
About the Network Support Engineer position
As a network support engineer in the information technology (IT) department, you will contribute to enhancing and securing NYSTEC’s computer network. NYSTEC is considered a trusted advisor, partner of choice, and employer of choice. We believe that every interaction is an opportunity to deliver exceptional service that empowers client success.
Serving as a network support engineer, your day-to-day role will include analyzing the performance of NYSTEC’s networks and collaborating with colleagues within the IT department to increase network capacity and provide support.
Key Responsibilities: Network Support Engineer
Overall, in the role of network support engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with the IT service desk on the deployment and maintenance of network technologies.
- Install, configure, and support routers, switches, firewalls, wireless components, and servers.
- Install, configure, and update network software and maintain hardware and network devices.
- Test network protocols and ensure stable and secure server connectivity.
- Document network processes and layouts and enhance network security.
- Keep abreast of developments in network infrastructure and technologies.
- Provide technical support for staff using the network.
- Design and implement new network solutions and/or improve the efficiency of current networks.
- Maximize network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Procure network equipment and manage subcontractors involved with the installation.
- Investigate faults in the network.
- Report network status to key stakeholders.
- Enhance intranet performance and create internet domains.
- Perform diagnostic tests and repairs and develop data archiving, backup, and retrieval procedures.
- Optimize capacity to keep up with demand in online traffic.
- Train junior IT personnel; provide onsite, remote, or technical support; and prepare user manuals.
- Set up user accounts, permissions, and passwords.
- Collaborate with the information security team regarding the security of all systems.
- Plan for improvements and recommend solutions to business problems and strategic goals.
- Ensure that systems comply with industry standards and best practices.
Required Qualifications: Network Support Engineer
Candidates applying for the role of network support engineer should have the following knowledge, skills, and/or abilities:
- Possesses an in-dept knowledge of network infrastructure, architecture, connectivity, and security.
- Assesses unusual circumstances and uses sophisticated analytical and problem-solving techniques to identify cause. Resolves and assesses a wide range of issues in creative ways and suggests variations in approach.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where the analysis of information requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Devises solutions based on limited information and precedent and adapts existing approaches to resolve issues. Uses evaluation, judgment, and interpretation to select the right course of action. Work is done independently and is reviewed at critical points.
- Enhances relationships and engages with internal/external partners who may not be familiar with the subject matter. Is able to adapt to differing audiences and advise others on complex matters.
Preferred/Desired Qualifications: Network Support Engineer
It would be helpful for candidates applying for the network support engineer role to have the following knowledge, skills, and/or abilities:
- Certified Microsoft, CompTIA, or Cisco network professional – or able to attain certification within one year.
Education and Experience: Network Support Engineer
For the network support engineer role, candidates should have the following education/experience:
- A bachelor’s degree and five years of related experience as a network support engineer.
An equivalent combination of advanced education, training, and experience may be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is NYSTEC’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all individuals, regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, military service and veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws and ordinances. NYSTEC is strongly committed to this policy and believes in the concept and spirit of the law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact Talent_Management-Confidential@nystec.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Learn More about NYSTEC
Interested in NYSTEC’s culture and values? Find out what it’s like to be a NYSTECer.
If you’re an effective communicator who enjoys working in complex and collaborative environments, using your critical thinking and research skills to develop solutions for clients, and providing support to customers, we want to hear from you.
Do work that matters.