NYSTEC has a job opening for an assistant general counsel. Are you ready to contribute to our engaged workforce and to deliver the NYSTEC Experience?
Department: Legal & Compliance
Location: Albany, NY
Salary: $117821 – $162004 Per Year
NYSTEC is a nonprofit technology consulting company, advising agencies, organizations, institutions, and businesses since 1996. We’re independent and vendor-neutral, so we have our clients’ best interests at heart. At NYSTEC, we know that we succeed when individuals and teams flourish personally and professionally, so our benefits and perks support that mindset. Are you ready to contribute to our engaged workforce and to deliver the NYSTEC Experience?
About the Assistant General Counsel Role
As the assistant general counsel, you will work jointly with the general counsel to accomplish the strategic goals and mission of NYSTEC while exhibiting NYSTEC’s core values and behaviors. The assistant general counsel will manage NYSTEC’s compliance programs (including but not limited to policy writing and review, training, auditing, and enforcement) and execute strategies with a perspective to mitigate risk and balance management and employee perspectives. The assistant general counsel assists the general counsel, where needed, to support and respond to daily requests of NYSTEC employees regarding compliance and general legal matters.
Key Responsibilities: Assistant General Counsel
Overall, in the role of assistant general counsel, you will:
- Take primary responsibility, under general counsel direction, for implementing, managing, and enforcing an effective legal compliance program.
- Develop and review company policies.
- Advise management on the company’s compliance with the company’s contractual obligations, laws, and regulations.
- Create and manage effective action plans in response to audit discoveries and compliance violations.
- Serve as a member on NYSTEC’s various oversight committees and the incident response team to help ensure appropriate response and documentation.
- Assist NYSTEC’s IT department and security analysts on all compliance matters relating to data/information security.
- Stay abreast of laws and regulatory developments relating to NYSTEC’s business and its 501(c)(3) status.
- Lead or participate, as requested, in preparing regular trainings and educational messaging for NYSTECers (and subcontractors/vendors, as may deemed necessary by general counsel); help to institute and oversee auditing and monitoring of the same.
- Assist general counsel with legal research, review, and drafting of various documents and correspondence, as requested.
- Partner with outside counsel when necessary.
- Ensure compliance with insurance requirements as required by law and by NYSTEC’s contracting partners.
- Demonstrate the NYSTEC Core Values and Behaviors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: Assistant General Counsel
Candidates applying for the role of assistant general counsel should have the following knowledge, skills, and/or abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with corporate governance, data privacy, and advisement to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrates independent initiative by identifying and advancing strategies to maintain the relevance and effectiveness of various NYSTEC functional areas and ensures that the quantity and quality of resources and expertise is sufficient to support NYSTEC’s corporate objectives.
- Broad knowledge of corporate law and working knowledge of company contracts, policies, and operations.
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Competent in contracts management, including policies and standards for client entities (e.g., New York State, New York City, federal government, neighboring states).
- Strong computer skills, including experience using web browsers and Microsoft applications (Project, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, SharePoint) or equivalent.
- Understands NYSTEC’s mission, brand mindsets, and core values and can put the behaviors into practice.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar Association.
Education and Experience: Assistant General Counsel
For the assistant general counsel role, candidates should have the following education/experience:
- A Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree is required, with a license to practice law in New York in good standing, in addition to seven years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- In addition, five years in the compliance field is strongly preferred.
- Experience in the healthcare, information technology, consulting, federal government contracting, and/or cybersecurity industries is preferred, as is experience working with not-for-profit or nonprofit entities.
An equivalent combination of advanced education, training, and experience will be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is NYSTEC’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all individuals, regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, military service and veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws and ordinances. NYSTEC is strongly committed to this policy and believes in the concept and spirit of the law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact Talent_Management-Confidential@nystec.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Learn More about NYSTEC
Interested in NYSTEC’s culture and values? Find out what it’s like to be a NYSTECer.
If you’re an effective communicator who enjoys working in complex and collaborative environments, using your critical thinking and research skills to develop solutions for clients, and providing support to customers, we want to hear from you.
Do work that matters.